Spey nerds unite!
Big Sky Anglers is excited to annouce that our annual Trout Spey Days Event will be held this year on the evening of Sunday, September 10th and all day on Monday, September 11th right here in West Yellowstone, MT.
Whether you are just beginning your journey with 2-handed rods and Spey casting for trout, or you are a veteran with the long rod, there will be something to learn for you.
Save the date
September 10-11, 2023
The format will be similar to years past with an informal evening gathering on Sunday and presentations, gear, casting instruction, food, and more all day Monday on the river.
dont miss out
As was the case last year, attendance will be limited on Monday to ensure we can provide the best possible experience for everyone. To do this, we are requiring that people sign up for the event and we are charging attendees a fee of $25. This fee will hold your spot, grant you access to a full day of great instruction and Spey gear demos, and go towards a simple coffee and donuts breakfast as well as a fresh “Fisherman’s Boxed Lunch” at the Monday event. All attendees will also have access to exclusive discounts at the shop during the weekend of the event and get a raffle ticket fort eh awesome giveaways at the end of the day.
The Sunday event at the Casting Pond/Flyshop is free as always. Also, if you have kiddos under the age of 15 that would like to attend on Monday, just let us know that you are bringing them along when you sign up. Their attendance is FREE.
Sunday, September 10, 2023
This year’s event will kick off on Sunday Evening. Beginning around 5:30 PM, we will be hosting a fun, informal social gathering with the Spey nerds from Big Sky Anglers as well as visiting reps and instructors at the all new Bob Jacklin Casting Pond facilty behind the Union Pacific Dining Hall in town. If the weather gives us trouble, we will head back tot he fly shop and hang out there. This is a great opportunity to ask those questions that have been lingering in your mind since last fall, and to learn from the answers to questions that others ask. Anything about Spey casting, gear, presentation, rigging, and more is fair game. Note, the Sunday Evening portion of the event is free and all are welcome.
- Informal gathering and Trout Spey Q&A at the new Bob Jacklin Casting Pond in West Yellowstone! Hang out and have fun.
Monday, September 11, 2023
The main event will be held on Monday out at the Hwy 191 bridge over the Madison River, where past events have been held. If you’ve been to our earlier Spey Days events, the format will be familiar.
The main parking lot will be set up with tents from the reps from a range of companies and serve as home base for lunch. Rods, reels, lines, and more will be available to check out, and cast on the water. As always, we encourage folks to bring their rods and play around with a variety of lines to really dial in your kit with the help of knowedgeable reps and BSA staff. The on-water presentations will be spaced out with lots of time for trying gear, casting instruction, and Q&A with presenters and reps.
We recommend that attendees bring a folding camp chair, water, snacks, and layers along with a positive attitude and any Spey rod that you are interested in getting dialed in.
- All Day event on the water. Madison River, Custer Gallatin National Forest. Public welcome from 9:00 AM – 5:00PM
- Limited attendance. $25 fee for attendance that includes a spot at the event, coffee and donuts, and a boxed “Fisherman’s Lunch” , and access to some awesome discounts at the fly shop on Spey related gear the week of the event.
- Presentations throughout the day, with significant breaks in between talks where attendees can test out rods and lines, seek out instruction, etc.
- Giveaway raffle.
- Afterparty plans to be determined.
- Simon Gawesworth (Farbank) - Touch & Go vs. Waterborn Anchor Spey Casting
- Matt Klara (Big Sky Anglers) & Nick English (Grundens) - How To Pick Your Buddies' Pocket: Ethics and Tactics for Spey Angling with Others
- Jake Zirkle (Loomis) - Casting In Tight Quarters and Around Obstacles
- Steve Bird (Retired Guide and Author of 'Trout Spey and the Art of the Swing') - Match the Hatch on the Swing
Rods/Reels - Sage, Winston, CF Burheimer, Echo, Orvis, G. Loomis, Scott, Redington, OPST, Douglas, T&T, Bauer, Hatch, Nautilus, Ross
Lines - RIO, Scientific Anglers, Airflo, OPST, Ballistic Fly Lines
Apparel - Simms, Patagonia, Skwala, Grundens
Other - OnWater App, Montana Fly Co.