Beginning July 5th, BSA will be hosting ORVIS Fly Fishing 101 classes at the fly shop on Thursday nights. These 2-hour-long introductions are a great way to get started in fly fishing and learn the basics of gear, casting, entomology and flies, and knot tying. Space is limited for each session, so please call the shop at 406-646-7801 to get signed up.
Thursday Nights from 7-9 pm
July 5,12,19, & 26
August 2 & 8
These courses will be conducted both in the fly shop and at the city park or casting pond and is taught by Big Sky Anglers staff and guides.
You can expect to learn about:
- What fly fishing is and how it works.
- Local fish species and our home waters.
- Setting up your gear
- Beginning Fly Casting – loading the rod, pick-up and lay-down casting, false casting, loops and loop control, and target practice
- Methods for hooking, fighting, and landing a fish
- Catch & Release
- Basic knots
- Entomology and fly selection
Every class ends with a Q&A session, and swapping of stories and lies in the time honored fishing tradition.